Friday, May 25, 2012

Flyday

A wonderfully blue tail from a redfish - sorry for the hairy leg ruining the shot...
Its Friday (Flyday) and that means we are finally released from the confines of the work week.  I'm still debating my plans for the weekend - should I go back to the "secret spot" or should I go exploring and try to find a new "secret spot"?  I've been searching Google earth and have some ideas...

In other news, I just ordered Scientific Anglers Mastery Redfish (Warmwater) line.  It hasn't arrived yet, but I will be sure to write a review after I try it out and get a feel for it.  This is my first time buying what I consider to be an expensive fly line and I'm curious as to whether or not I'll notice a major difference in performance.  There were several factors behind this decision.  First, my current 8 wt saltwater line is cracking.  It needs to be replaced.  Second, I've been doing a lot of fishing for redfish in the marsh lately, and it typically involves quick, short casts.  My current line works, but the line I ordered has a slightly shorter head and possibly less line memory which I'm hoping will aid in quick, short casts and decrease the likelihood of tangles at the crucial moment (this has happened before).  Finally, I've typically overlooked the importance of quality fly line, but more and more I'm starting to see it as just as important if not more important than a quality rod or a quality reel.  And, its much cheaper to upgrade.  High end line costs $70 whereas high end rods cost $700.  Improving my line quality may be a more cost effective way of upgrading my equipment.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment