Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Plans for 2012

Man I've been lazy lately - this weekend I opted to stay indoors, watching soccer and doing chores instead of going kayaking or fishing.  I'm getting pretty spoiled when I turn down a sunny day with a high around 60, but hey, it was a windy 60 degrees!

Fortunately, I haven't completely wasted my time.  I've recently started making plans for some fishing trips in the coming year:

Pensacola, FL:  I'm definitely making another trip to Pensacola to do some more camping and fishing hopefully this Spring. Spring is supposed to be a good time for just about everything in Pensacola.  I'm talking trout, redfish, mackerel, ladyfish, pompano... whatever I can get!

Carrabelle, FL:  I'm considering a trip to Carrabelle for Tarpon.  Tarpon make the trip up the west coast of Florida in the Spring, and Carrabelle is supposed to be a great place to sight fish for them.  I'm wondering if they can be sight fished from kayak or on foot instead of dropping $500 for a guide.  This trip is probably the least likely, but we will see...

Alabama:  Camping trip to the Talladega National Forest in Alabama in search of redeye bass.  The redeye bass is a small species of bass that lives in small, cool streams in Alabama and elsewhere and is supposed to be particularly fun on a fly rod.
Redeye bass - a very pretty fish.  Photo source.
Northern Georgia:  I've been to northern Georgia for rafting and hiking before, but this time I'm going to chase some trout.  I'd like to find some tiny mountain streams and catch some tiny native brook trout.

Mississippi:  I hope to spend plenty of days this year on the Mississippi barrier islands by way of the ferry and the goodwill of friends, but I am planning one specific adventure of kayaking out to Horn Island and spending the weekend there.  I now have all the necessary seakayaking equipment, and I just need to practice flipping over and getting back in.  For anyone else interested in seakayaking, this is an awesome website for learning seakayak maneuvers

Leave a comment if you have any advice for these trips!

3 comments:

  1. Mich
    The redeye bass is like fighting a Kentucky Spot----fun on the fly rod. The fish is in Smith Lake my home waters, mainly because of all the feeder creeks that runs in the lake. I land some in the early spring, but after the water warms, they seem to go deep and one has to wait until the next season to fish for them again in the lake. Yes you can catch numbers of them in the creeks in this state. Bear Creek in the northern part of the state has some quality redeye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you're planning to go to Pensacola. I'm ready to get back home and get some fishing in.

    I might also be trying to make a trip to carabelle. Right now, I'm living about 1-1.5 hrs away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I will let you know for sure. Right now I'm thinking of a weekend in April.

      Delete